If like me you experienced some issues with your Power BI Data Gateway going off line, then here’s one method for restarting it.
- Run the Command Prompt as administrator. In older versions of Windows the Command Prompt can be found under All Programs > Accessories. In newer versions of Windows it can be found by opening the Start Menu, or going to the Windows Metro Screen, and typing Command Prompt. Right click the Command Prompt icon and select Run as administrator. Click Yes or Continue if prompted
- Type (or copy and paste) the following command and then press the Enter key: net stop PBIEgwService
- You should receive confirmation here that the Data Gateway service is not running
- Type (or copy and paste) the following command and then press the Enter key: net start PBIEgwService
- You should now receive confirmation that the Data Gateway service is starting followed by confirmation that it was started successfully.
If this method doesn’t work then re-downloading the Data Gateway and selecting the Restore option may be necessary (you’ll need to know your Recovery Key for this which you set when you first installed and configured the Data Gateway).